The greenest cities in the world are those that actually implement as many environmentally responsible measures as possible. The face of the world’s cities is rapidly changing and it would be nearly impossible to accurately rank the greenest cities, since there are currently so many standards to measure by. Here is what some believe are the Top 5 Greenest Cities in the world to visit:
- Portland, Oregon, USA has been listed as the greenest city by Popular Science Magazine. Extensive bicycling routes, parks, renewable energy use and public transportation make this a very green city. Urban sprawl has been controlled and the city core is walkable to all major attractions and a host of restaurants and clubs.
- Freiburg, Germany boasts such green features as a car-free zone, solar village and heliotrope house. Located on the western edge of the Black Forest, Freiburg straddles the Dreisam River and was founded in 1120 AD.
- Zermatt, Switzerland has reserved all streets for pedestrian and cycle traffic. Commercial loads are moved on hand carts, horse carts or by electric vehicles. There are no cars in Zermatt! Visiting is like stepping back in time at the foot of the Matterhorn.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada has enacted the Montreal Protocol as a legislative means to regulate greenhouse gas emissions and have created what is perhaps the most extensive public bicycle sharing program in the world. This island-city boasts over 2000 years of history.
- Austin, Texas, USA is the home of the Whole Foods Company and offers live entertainment to rival any city in the world. Perched on the banks of the Colorado River, Austin is the Capital of the State of Texas. While to some it seems hard to believe in the heart of oil country, Austin is taking extensive action to be one of the greenest cities in the world.
Whether you agree with this list or not, any of theses cities make an excellent vacation destination. If your travel plans keep you closer to home, take a look at the web sites of other cities within your travel range. See which ones are proud to announce any green measures they are taking. Try to patronize businesses that promote and practice green initiatives. Do all you can to reduce, reuse and recycle at home, at work or when on vacation.